Thursday, December 23, 2010

Winthrop Prep -- 2.01 -- Dirty Little Secret


They say when one door closes another one opens – but on the campus of Winthrop Prep when one juicy secret gets exposed, another takes its place in line, festering underneath its keeper’s skin as it, too, waits to come out in the most damning, most public way possible. Three months after the events at the Reynolds Center, the remaining students found themselves desperately trying to recover … and to keep their new secrets buried for as long as possible.

On the morning of January seventh, fresh from spending winter break with Noel and his family, a well-rested Rebecca left the new Dalton Hall and met Headmaster Mancini’s successor.


Rebecca: Headmistress Davenport.

Beth: Beth, please. I was just coming by to check on the construction. The crew your father suggested have done a superb job of getting the new building erected where the old building was so quickly after the fire.

Rebecca: Yeah, they’re great. I’m actually glad I ran into you. I was hoping we could schedule a meeting. 
 
Beth: I have a few parent conferences  
this morning, but you can come by my office around three. Everything’s okay, I hope.

Rebecca: Oh, yes. It’s just journalism business. I’ve been assigned an interview with the new headmistress. Don’t worry, I’ll keep the hard questions to a minimum. I know the last thing you want to talk about is our psycho former headmaster.

Beth: I doubt there’s anything you could ask me about Roger that hasn’t already been asked by the majority of the parents of Winthrop Prep’s students.
 
Rebecca: Off the record, as a friend…sort of…how is Bianca?

Beth: We haven’t heard anything since she escaped from the Reynolds Center three months ago.

Rebecca: Ted must be devastated.

Beth: We all are.

Rebecca: Franklin’s taking it pretty hard, too.
 

Beth: I know. He spent most of winter break with Ted, looking for Bianca.

Rebecca: Your family is in my prayers.

Beth: Thank you, Rebecca. I’ll see you at three.

Rebecca: Sure. And, don’t worry, I won’t ask about the rumors that you had knee liposuction over winter break.







Sam was exiting the west wing of Dalton Hall when he spotted a familiar old friend. Or, new enemy, as it were. She’d changed quite a bit since he last saw her, but he would recognize her anywhere. And, when she disappeared inside the turret, he followed, as anxious to see what she was up to as he was to give her a piece of his mind.

Sam: What the hell are you doing here?

Alison: Looking for you. Sam, we need to talk.

Sam: Talk? Fine, we’ll talk. Let’s talk about how many lives you’ve ruined.
Alison: I know I made a lot of mistakes –

Sam: Mistakes? You murdered my best friend, you threatened the life of another friend and Bianca is who knows where because of you.



She understood that. Three months might not seem like a long time, but for her, it had been. Her mother had passed away and somewhere along the way, her great revenge on Bianca became something else entirely. And, now she was here, not to beg for mercy she knew she would never deserve, but to try to introduce some kind of peace into all the chaos she had caused.

Alison: That’s been weighing on my conscience.

Sam: Like you have one.

Alison: I do. That’s why I’m here now. There’s something you have to --

Sam: There are still pieces of my best friend in the debris of the old boathouse and Bianca could be dead in an alley somewhere and we wouldn’t know because of you and your sick games you played!


Alison: I know there’s nothing I can do to make up for it. But, there’s something you need to know, you and Bianca both –

Sam: You think if we find her I’m going to be delivering messages for you? Whatever twisted lies you’ve got to tell, you can tell them to the police.

Alison: No, Sam, don’t call them.

Sam: Screw you, Alison.




He wouldn’t listen. Alison hadn’t really expected him to, but she had to try. She was trying to do the right thing, but going to jail wouldn’t help anything. So, when Sam turned to call the police, she hit him in the back of the head, just enough to knock him unconscious, and ran away.


After classes ended for the day, Rebecca met with Beth and got her interview. They talked for almost two hours on the state of affairs at Winthrop Prep, both the academic business and financial business. Beth seemed sure they could turn around the loss in students whose parents withdrew them following last semester’s nightmare.

When Rebecca returned to Dalton Hall, she found new resident and friend, Jane, sitting on a bench.

Rebecca: Hey, you! We missed you in journalism lab today.

Jane: Did we get our first assignments?

Rebecca: Yep. I had to interview the new headmistress and you have the daunting task of a write-up on the tater tot shortage in the cafeteria.

Jane: I can practically feel my Pulitzer.

Rebecca: You okay? You look a little pale.


 

Jane: I’m fine, just not feeling well.

Rebecca: Then, you should go to your room and get some rest. What are you doing out here?

Jane: Hiding?

Rebecca: From what?







Suddenly, Jane tensed and Rebecca could feel stark, raw fear wafting off of Jane in waves. When she looked up, she saw Jane’s terrified gaze locked on Brian Carlisle.





Rebecca: Or, should I say who?

Jane: I have to go.










Rebecca watched Brian watch Jane run away, and she didn’t like how much he seemed to like her fear.

Later that evening, Brian came back. Rebecca found him on the front stoop, about to go inside.



Rebecca: Need something?

Brian: I was just on my way to Jane Littleton’s room.

Rebecca: I don’t think so.

Brian: What are you? Hall monitor?

Rebecca: Jane’s not feeling well. She needs her rest. If she wants to see you, she’ll come find you.





Brian: You know, I’m not sure I like your tone. I suggest you cool it with the attitude.

Rebecca: Or, what?









Sam, who’d gone to swim practice despite the infirmary nurse’s advisement to avoid activity with his head injury, came upon Rebecca and Brian.





Sam: There a problem here?

Rebecca: No. Brian was just leaving, weren’t you, Brian?

Brian: Tell Janie I’m thinking about her.
Rebecca: Creep.

Sam: You okay?

Rebecca: Fine. Can’t say the same for Jane. She’s scared to death of him.

Sam: Why?

Rebecca: I don’t know. I was with her earlier this afternoon and when she saw him…I could feel the terror radiating off of her.
Sam: Speaking of terror, you should let Noel and Franklin know that I saw Alison today.

Rebecca: Why didn’t you call the police?

Sam: I was distracted by the concussion she gave me.

Rebecca: Are you okay?

Sam: I’ll live.

Rebecca: What did she want?

Sam: I don’t know. She said there was something she needed to tell me, but I didn’t want to hear anymore of her lies. It’s not like anything she could say could bring Jasper or Bianca back. I just hope wherever she is, she’s okay.

She was. Sort of. In Bridgeport, Layla was living it up, as she had been since Bianca let her take the wheel. There’d been boys and booze and more boys and more booze, and while three months of dormancy was making Bianca a little cranky, Layla could care less. She liked being out. No love, no pain, just fun, as life was meant to be.

On the dance floor, she caught the eye of some guy.




Lucas: Dance with me.

Layla: You ever ask nicely?

Lucas: Never.








He was cute and smelled nice and wasn’t old enough to be her grandfather, so she thought maybe she might take him home with her tonight. Or, maybe she would go home with him. Home for her was a seedy motel room, not the best place in the world but the most she could afford on her very limited income.




She was having a good time with him when the effects machine in the background went off and a burst of fire sent Layla back in time. Suddenly, she was at the boathouse and everything around her was exploding and Bianca’s heart was shattering inside their chest and …






No. She didn’t want to remember this. So, she headed for the bar. The guy followed, multi-tasking banter with getting the bartender's attention.


Lucas: Are you even old enough to drink that?

Layla: Want to see my ID?

Lucas: I saw your ID. It’s as fake as your … name.

Layla: There’s no part of me that’s fake, including my name.

Lucas: Come on, who names their kid Layla?


Layla: My father.

Lucas: Who’s your daddy? Eric Clapton?

Layla: You’re very obnoxious. If you’re hoping I’ll sleep with you, your chances are diminishing with each idiotic word that comes out of your mouth.

Lucas: What makes you think I want to sleep with you?

Layla: Have you seen me?



Lucas: Gentlemen prefer blondes.

Layla: You don’t strike me as much of a gentleman.

Lucas: Then, I hope you’re not expecting me to buy your drink.

Layla: You already did. I lifted your credit card out on the dance floor, opened a tab and now I’m set for the night. Thanks, by the way.




Layla got up and left with her drink, leaving a bewildered Lucas to wonder … who was that girl and where had she been all his life?

Back at Winthrop Prep, Rebecca found Noel.

Rebecca: You are a sight for sore eyes.

Noel: Guess who’s interior decorating design got chosen by the Winthrop Prep construction board for the reception room in the east wing of the new and improved Dalton House?

Rebecca: That’s wonderful! It’s about time you got recognized for your talents.

Noel: Last I checked, you were recognizing me quite emphatically.
 
Rebecca: To the point the neighbors complain. Speaking of, I need to go check on Jane.

Noel: Yeah, I should go check on Franklin, too.

Rebecca: Tell him Alison’s been lurking around.

Noel: Seriously?
 
Rebecca: Mm-hmm. Sam told me. Alright, I’m going to go see Jane and then, when you get done with Franklin, maybe you can stop by my room and I’ll recognize you some more before curfew.




Noel: Mmm. I love you.

Rebecca: I love you, too.










Franklin was upstairs, watching the news, in hopes there would be some update on Bianca, when Noel came in.

Noel: We’ve got pizza down in the dining hall if you get hungry.

Franklin: Thanks.

Noel: How are you holding up?

Franklin: Just got off the phone with Ted. There’s been no word.

Noel: Well, you should get to work on redecorating this room. When Bianca comes back she’s going to be pissed there’s no red. At least get a few throw pillows.
Franklin: I just wish she would come back. I know it won’t be enough to help, but I wish I could tell her that I don’t blame her for what happened with Alison.

Noel: Speaking of, Sam saw Alison on campus today.

Franklin: He should’ve brought the bitch to me.

Noel: At least we know she’s in town and the police can renew the search for her.



Franklin: I should get to work on that reading assignment we got in first period.

Noel: Alright. If you want to talk, my door’s always open.

Franklin: Thanks, man. 

Noel: Hang in there.





In the weeks after Bianca’s disappearance and Beth’s acceptance of the headmistress position at Winthrop Prep, Ted bought a house in Sunset Valley near the campus. It wasn’t much, certainly not the best they could afford given his money and Beth’s, but it would do. Beth had picked it out, told Ted once Bianca came home they would buy a bigger house, one with plenty of room for her, too.

He was at his computer when Beth came out, already ready for bed.


Beth: Any news?

Ted: No. There was a posting on the Twinbrook news site that said they saw someone fitting Bianca’s description, but it wasn’t her.

Beth: I’m sorry. Maybe you should get some sleep?

Ted: I haven’t slept since Bianca left…since Layla left.

Beth: We’re going to get her back, Ted. We’re going to find her and bring her home and we’re going to take these two pieces of her and make her whole again.

Ted: What if we can’t? What if Bianca is gone forever?

Beth: You have to have faith, in her and your love for her.

Ted: But, what if I’m not enough? What if there’s no one out there who can get through to Bianca?









If only Ted knew…












Alison went inside her house and dropped her keys on the table. She put the groceries away and went to the sink to wash her hands. 




She didn’t hear the person sneaking up behind her until he put his hands on her back and she almost jumped out of her skin.


Alison: You scared me. What have I told you about sneaking up on me like that?

Jasper: Sorry. I thought you heard me. I was in the bathroom working on that pipe under the sink.

Alison: It’s leaking again?

Jasper: Don’t worry. I wrenched it into submission, for a few days, at least.




He’d been quite the handyman, which was good since their landlord refused to fix anything. But, rent was cheap and no one asked questions when she paid in cash each month, so it would do. It was getting harder, though. None of this had gone as she planned. She’d thought she would set things up, let Bianca mourn Jasper like she mourned Pete and then, after a while, send him back, give Bianca the second chance she never got. How was she to know Bianca would have a complete breakdown? That she would run away? Or that the drugs she’d given Jasper to keep him complacent the night of the abduction would erase his entire memory?

Or that she would fall in love with him?


Alison: You should go get cleaned up while I make dinner.

Jasper: Why don’t you ever let me cook?

Alison: Do you remember how to cook?

Jasper: Good point. Okay, you can cook tonight, but, when I get my memories back, I am going to make you the best dinner you’ve ever had in your life.


She hated when he said things like that. Every day she lived was a day spent in fear that she would come home to find his memories back and he would recall what a monster she was. Then, he’d leave her for Bianca, he would go home where he belonged. That’d been why she went to Sam this morning, her heart defying her head, trying to do what was best for Jasper. But, Sam hadn’t listened and if Jasper didn’t remember Bianca, wouldn’t that just do more harm than good?



Alison: Let’s not make promises we can’t keep. You might want to be elsewhere when your memory returns.

Jasper: I intend to keep it. Alison, you saved my life, you took care of me and nursed me back to health after the car accident. I love you. Nothing can change that.

Alison: I wish that were true.




Jasper tried to kiss her, but she didn’t let him. She never did, because she knew this happy little life of theirs was a lie and that the boy who Jasper used to be would never want to kiss her. Instead, she turned away from him and went to start dinner.

Back at Winthrop Prep, Rebecca headed for her room to turn in for the night. But, on the way, she stopped off at Jane’s room.








Rebecca: Hey, just thought I’d stop in and see how you’re…








A grisly sight waited for her there. 






Rebecca: Oh, God!











Rebecca rushed into the room, but it was much, much too late. Jane Littleton's dirty little secret had already caught up to her.

3 comments:

  1. That... was creepy. And disturbing. In a good way of course :)
    Amazing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked it!

    It was hard sitting on the Jasper secret.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry my ints been down an lagging horrinly - caught up on de last 2 .... scaryly awesome!

    ReplyDelete